Friday 18 January 2013

How Is It That I Became A Writer?

The question of how I became a writer can probably be answered rather succinctly; since I can remember I've always been stashing my thoughts away in notebooks, tracing words in the air with my finger or feeling plagued by fictional characters in my head that feel as if they are furiously struggling to be free. But I guess the turning point was when, like Margaret Atwood, my work began to take on a personal significance that I wanted to share with the world.

In our first class of the year for Author Study, we were asked to consider how we became writers and also to write a timeline of important events that had happened to us. As I rifled through them, some of them including 'being diagnosed with depression' and 'getting suspended from primary/secondary school', I realised that these events had affected the way I write. When my moods were at an all time low it was mirrored in my writing and when I left school it started to become more visceral and experimental. Only I can write about these from my own point of view with authority, but they have shaped my perceptions and voice in my work. Like a carpenter shaving a block of wood, I guess I want to carve something too.

I want to leave this post with a quote by artist Banksy because if they have taught me anything, its that in writing I'll somehow always be remembered and with those words, there's a sense of comfort that I won't be forgotten.


“But maybe all art is about just trying to live on for a bit. I mean, they say you die twice. One time when you stop breathing and a second time, a bit later on, when somebody says your name for the last time.”

3 comments:

  1. This was an interesting and relatable post, I think that every writer wants to make their mark in some way. Good choice of quote from Banksy as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting to read this blog and see just how much your experiences in life have shaped you as a writer.

    This blog is very personal and it is clear to see parallels to the other question we were asked consider regarding the concept of how no writer merges from childhood into an untainted bias.

    Your life and the influences of other established writers have already had a profound effect on not only your perception of the world but your own style of writing.

    What sort of writer would you have turned out to be if you had grown up in a society dominated by communist ideology rather capitalist ones or had you not been suspended from school or suffered depression?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this post already has two comments, but I just wanted to say that I really liked this post! It was relatable, intriguing and I also liked the style of writing.

    ReplyDelete